Cyrptosporidia - Cryptosporidiosis
Spell this problem "diarrhea."
Research reported in December, 2012, Journal of Veterinary Medical Association.
- Calves studied for first 21 days of life.
- All calves given the same challenge dose of cryptosporidia parasites on day 3. 100% were successfully infected.
- Shedding started on average at day 7 and lasted until day 13.
- 1/2 of calves received "conventional nutrition" 20-20 milk replacer 15% solids roughly 2 quarts twice daily.
- 1/2 of calves received "high plane of nutrition" 28-20 milk replacer 15% solids enough more to equal a 30% increase in nutrition.
- faster resolution of dirrehea
- maintained hydration
- grew better, and
- converted feed with greater efficiency
An aside: With this severe challenge the conventional nutrition calves actually lost weight during the trial while the the high plane of nutrition calves gained an average of one pound a day!
Bottom Line: Calves with more energy and protein available in their milk replacer ration were better able to deal with the crypto infection than calves with a limited ration.
Note: December calf raisers newsletter, Calving Ease, is now posted at www.atticacows.com.