November 2015 Calf Management Newsletter
"Are Your Weaned Calves Rumen Ready?"
The newsletter is available HERE or at
www.atticacows.com, click on Calving Ease in left hand menu, click on November newsletter.
- Rumen review – the fermentation center for a ruminant.
- Changing from a pig to a ruminant – strong rumen wall muscles, well grown-out papillae.
- Tips for encouraging early rumen readiness:
1. Know what is “normal” grain intake.
2. Keep the grain dry.
3. Keep the grain fresh, especially avoid moldy grain.
4. For the youngest calves begin with only enough grain to cover the bottom of the pail.
- Hunger is a great incentive to eat more grain – cut back on the milk near weaning.