Mixing Milk Replacer - Getting It Right!
A new guide for mixing milk replacer is now available at www.atticacows.com. It can be accessed by clicking HERE. An outline of content appears below.
Mixing Tips for Milk Replacer
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for mixing temperature, amount of powder and volume of water.
- Have a written recipe [so many calves = so much powder and water].
- Use scales to measure milk replacer powder.
- Calibrate containers rather than estimating water volume.
- Make a calibrated measuring stick for mixing.
- Use a thermometer to get the right temperature mix.
An additional resource is the December issue of the calf management newsletter - go to this issue by clicking HERE. The title is "Mixing Milk Replacer: Are You Using Best Management Practices?"
If you do not already receive an e-mail when a new issue of the calf management newsletter is posted on-line, send an e-mail to email@example.com with subscribe in the subject line.