Friday, September 15, 2017

Every Time I Try Feeding My Calves More 
They have Scours

This past week I talked with some calf care folks. One of the practices I recommended was feeding calves more than the out-of-date four quarts a day of 20-20 milk replacer. 

The reaction of some folks was captured in the words of one calf care person, "Every time I try what you suggest of feeding more, my calves have scours."

So, I spend about half an hour explaining that we control the conditions that either increase or decrease the chances of calves having diarrhea when fed more that 4 quarts of milk/milk replacer a day. The greater the number of best management practices we follow the lower the opportunity for calves to have diarrhea.

You may want to review this list of 10 factors that I think probably are most likely to make a difference in how calves respond to increased feeding rates. Click HERE for the list (2 pages) or if the link does not work for you try pasting this link in your browser:
http://www.atticacows.com/library/newsletters/FeedingMoreMilkwithoutScoursR1745.pdf 




No comments: