Salmonella Dublin: Clinical Challenges and Control
Dr. Simon Peek, University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, made a presentation with title at a seminar in December, 2018. A summary was prepared by Progressive Dairyman editor Peggy Coffeen and published in the June 12, 2019 issue of that magazine (page 71).
Dr. Peek's major control points for controlling this pathogen among calves are:
- Remove newborn calves promptly after birth.
- Only feed pasteurized colostrum and waste milk.
- Dedicate personnel to maintaining strick hygiene with calves.
- Recognize the weaning period is a high-risk time for disease transmission.
- Discuss protocols and testing with calf and heifer raisers.
- Discuss the pros and cons of using a specific S. Dublin vaccine with the herd veterinarian.
- Do not power wash enclosed calf facilities.
- Follow these protocols for disinfecting and cleaning - click below
or paste this url in your browser