Getting Better Calf Starter Intake
"Getting Better Calf Starter Intake" is the title of the October 2019 issue of the calf management newsletter. The key points in the letter are:
· Begin with a calf starter grain that calves want to eat.
· Offer only a handful of grain to youngest calves until they begin to eat it.
· Change grain frequently for youngest calves – mid-day gets them up.
· Usually, the higher the volume of milk offered, the later calves will begin to eat calf starter – even at late as three weeks of age.
· At least once a week, dump all the grain buckets and start over – especially important in hot and damp weather.
· If facilities permit, separate grain and water pails to reduce “slopping” water into grain pails.
· Clean free-choice water is necessary for good calf starter intake.
The link to the October issue is HERE
or, paste this URL in your browser