Using pain mitigation when disbudding calves
This is the title of a "easy-read" article by Dr. Charlotte Winder (University of Guelph).
Paragraph headings are:
- What drugs are effective for pain control?
- What about sedatives?
- Does it matter what method I use?
- Does it matter how old the calves are?
She says the "take-home" messages are:
- Work with your herd vet to develop disbudding protocols for your farm.
- Ensure calves are healthy at the time of the procedure.
- Disbud calves well ahead of weaning or moving.
- Make sure people performing this procedure are comfortable with both administering pain control and performing disbudding.
Full article appeared in February 25, 2020 issues of Progressive Dairy, pp 60-61
The URL is
or click HERE