Vaccinating in Cold Weather
This is the subject of the January 2015 issue of the monthly calf rearing newsletter from Sam Leadley.
The key points:
· Vaccinating calves during winter weather is an effective risk management tool to suppress the treatment rate for respiratory illness.
· Vaccines need special handling when used in sub-freezing weather in order not to compromise effectiveness.
· Build some flexibility into your vaccination schedule – under extreme weather conditions it may be cost effective to reschedule administration.
· With weather-stress added to other stressors be careful to manage stress carefully.
· Vaccinate only healthy calves – have a protocol for rescheduling vaccinations for sick calves.
Click HERE to go to the January newsletter.
Post a Comment