Take Time to Care for the Dystocia Calf
The August 2017 calf management newsletter is now posted at www.atticacows.com or click HERE to directly to the letter.
The key points:
· Calving difficulty, often called dystocia, affects between 13 to 15 % of Holstein calves.
· Treatment rates are higher for dystocia calves (scours 17%, pneumonia 70%) compared to calves experiencing unassisted births.
· Providing special care, both in the first few hours and first two weeks, can cut both death losses and treatments for scours and/or pneumonia.
· Give lots of stimulation during first few hours.
· Be sure to follow up for the next two weeks.
Post a Comment