January issue of calf management newsletter
The January 2016 issue of the calf management newsletter, Calving Ease, is now posted at the www.atticacows.com web site. Access by clicking HERE.
- Types of cold stress (hypothermia).
- If in doubt, use a thermometer!
- Prevention always works better than treatment.
- Treating mild hypothermia.
- Treating severe hypothermia – always consult with your veterinarian for the best protocol for your dairy.
Other notable ideas:
Remember, conditions that seem warm to people are often enough colder than a newborn calf’s body and can result in hypothermia. Hard delivery or dystocia calves often suffer from hypothermia.
Calves that survive severe hypothermia - remember that their body defense systems have been significantly weakened. Observe these calves closely for the next few weeks for symptoms of diarrhea and pneumonia
Post a Comment